Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Fat Fella Fit Down The Chimney

Well, once again, magically, the big fat red guy was able to fit down the chimney and leave some gifts.  This year Chris and I had planned to stay at McCord for Christmas.  My side of the family would be strewn across the province - with (much) older sisters Sandy and Jean celebrating with their adult kids and their families.  My younger sister Sharon and her family and brother Gary would go to Mom and Dad's in Broadview. 
As I said, we had planned to stay home - up until 7:30 am Christmas day.  "Want to go to Broadview for the day?" Chris asked after Daisy had given up her daily milk.  Now, Broadview is about four and half hours away, and I was technically on call since my boss was soaking things up in Mexico.  It didn't take me long to say "Yes!" for the intended trip.  Things were quickly fed up, we open our presents at mach speed, and we were on the road by 10:30 am - driving faster than Santa did the night before.  I didn't tell Mom and Dad that we were coming, so, like a good daughter on the holidays, I phoned her as we drove into Broadview, and started to ask her what she got for Christmas.  She was still talking to me on the phone when I snuck up behind her in the living room.  Her response was "What the hell?!?!"  I think she was slightly in shock since we had to almost pry the phone out of her hands. 
I had to bring a couple of JRT pups along for the ride, and Christmas socializing was done.
 It was a good thing I had brought them, since there were mice in the house.
 After the obligatory game of cards (in which Mom won, and I do believe she cheated), supper was to be eaten.  Thomas the turkey and Cheryl the chicken were invited for the feast.
 Mmmmmm.....stuffing.
 My brother Gary was the main dishwasher (women, he is still single, and he has a good job, and gives great Christmas gifts - he gave me a Coronation Street game!)
 Brother-in-law Terry was Master Musher....as in turnips, not sled dogs.

 And no turkey should be without cranberries!  The best cranberries were picked for this meal.
 With all the fixings out, we bellied up to the feed bunk.
 Here is Mom and Dad, post supper.  This will be their 61st Christmas together - hopefully many more will follow.  As Mom shows, a little wine makes things go smooth.
 So after supper, we drove back home, singing to all the Christmas songs on the radio.  I could not miss the Boxing Day specials the next day- I would have to get there early for the free parking.
 For those of you who don't know what the symbols mean, Glentworth has gas (and the d means diesel), plates, forks and knives (but no spoons), sleeping people, wrenches, propane bottles, shopping carts (that you don't have to pay for), phones (for those whose cell phones don't work), reading books and skaters.
 Parking would appear to be an issue.
 The Mall (slash post office) was busy with shoppers.  I snagged a few good deals,  This place is truly a diamond in the rough.
When I was a kid, it seemed to take forever for Christmas to come - these days, it creeps up you quickly and it is over before you know it.  Even though it was over in a flash, I was happy it was spent with my family.  Take away the hustle and bustle of the season, and you have what makes Christmas special...a special birthday celebrated with family.


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
    Plz reply as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. kudos

    Here is my page Is gynecomastiarelated with anabolic steroid drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post. I absolutely appreciate this site.
    Stick with it!

    Also visit my blog post Are usually gynecomastiavests any helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the superb work!

    Visit my web page :: http://chestfatburner.com/anadrol-increases-the-risk-of-gynecomastia-in-men/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The еnd valuе dependѕ on the ages of 25 to 25 tгieѕ to buy busineѕs ѕοmething and when
    you paгtner with us, this іs
    one of the most pορulaг methods is organic fаrming.


    Ϻу wеbρage agency internet marketing

    ReplyDelete