Tuesday, May 24, 2011

This Was One Classic Bluegrass Classic

Well, we are finally back on Canadian ground. Riding on a high from the accomplishment Gin did during the Bluegrass (finishing 6th on one day, getting to the double lift and ending up 17th spot), we drove back to Chicago to get back home. We got Calvin to the airport on time and wished him good riddance, and told him I would see his egghead again in September for the World Championship in England. Louanne and I had extra time before our check in time, so we wasted our time-finding the McDonald's Museum (which was closed) and then stopping at a park to walk the dogs and relax before we drove back to the airport. We got their early, checked all our bags in, and got the dogs through security. We then got through security ourselves, got the famous xray, and then went to our boarding gate. When we got there, I realized I had left my crook where we had dealt with the dogs. I quickly got back to that location and found my crook - funny in the times of increased air security, I would have expected a full lock down to be done because of a suspicious object with a sock on it. Anyways, I retrieved my crook, went through security once again, got some more xrays done, and then thought I would check to see if our plane was on time. Nope it wasn't on time, it was CANCELLED. Then the ulcer started bleeding. We found out that the next flight was the next day, we couldn't be guaranteed to be on the flight, but we could go on Thursday. Thank God I had my phone, Louanne's phone's battery had died, so she was on the hunt to find another flight. She also stood in line to get to get our dogs and luggage back, and I stood in another line to get refunded our money for getting the dogs on in the first place. Well, no other airlines fly dogs, so we ended up getting a flight with WestJet (my favorite airline) from Windsor since they can send dogs. So, we went and got another vehicle, and started to drive to Detroit. You can't take rental vehicles across the border, so we had to get a taxi to get us over the border. As I was renting the vehicle, I was contemplating whether to get insurance. I thought to myself, "With our luck, we'll get into an accident!" Well, we were close to an accident, and when we dropped off the vehicle, there was a door dint likely from the short stay over at a hotel during the night. For a 12 hour rental, it cost over $400. Then there was the taxi - Thomas from Pakistan - first he comes in a luxury limo - "No, the kennels can't fit in there - we told you we needed a van!" A harrowing drive through Detroit to the border in his minivan was then done. That was the quickest part of the trip - no questions were asked at the border, and we got to the Windsor Airport - $150 ride. We got all of our dogs on, minus our luggage, since it was still in Chicago, and we made it back home to Calgary. Now we have to go back in to retrieve the luggage when it arrives!! What a trip. Hope to do it again next year.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there, I do believe your blog may be having web browser compatibility issues.

    Whenever I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however when
    opening in I.E., it has some overlapping issues.
    I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that,
    fantastic site!

    my web site :: get seo