Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tasty Tidbits

"Do I have some news for you!" 
We have all heard that opener - someone with something to share of so much importance that it will bust their gut if they don't tell someone.  It could be something celebratory - such as a new impending birth of a family, or an award that someone got. 
But, as human nature as it is, nothing could be better to share that if it has shock value - an accident, a murder, a situation where the authorities are called out.  Really juicy gossip.
As per Wikipedia (and I do hear that all their information is correct), gossip is idle talk or rumor about the personal or private affairs of others. It is one of the oldest and most common means of sharing facts, views and slander. This term is used pejoratively by its reputation for the introduction of errors and variations into the information transmitted, and it also describes idle chat, a rumor of personal, or trivial nature.
We all gossip, some more than others.  I think there is a correlation between the amount one gossips to the amount of time that is on their hands.  Why is it that gossip from individuals who are known to love to stir up things are taken for gospel truth?
I have been in the brunt of gossip at times - some information passed around was most personal, and really nobody's business.  Personal stuff that was difficult to handle within your immediate family, let alone the family of your peers.  Personal stuff that should have remained...personal.
Maybe it started way back when I was a kid, a kid which was picked on....I never wanted to hurt any one's feelings, and I continue to live that way to this day.
If I hear of anything that is inflammatory to somebody, or so unbelievable...I don't spread it.  It is quite likely to be untrue.  And if it was true, who am I to spread the word - only people of faith should be spreading the word - and I haven't gone to church in ages so I am under qualified in this area.  Although, I do remember one of the commandments.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
As per Wikipedia (man I love this site), this commandment came from Proverbs.
There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Maybe I am God - or at the very least he and I are on the same page.  Wish others would be as well.

4 comments:

  1. Well, you know what they say about gossip, "It takes two people to hurt you. One to gossip and one to tell you about it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If gossip hits your ears, and doesn't get passed on to anyone but the person who is gossiped about, I find this person to be of more higher morals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, when a person does that, they are just looking for attention, or bored. I don't think they ever really have your best interest at heart. They are often called pot stirrers. (is that how you spell it?)
      Chin up, Wendy. You have friends that think well of you, even though you might not believe them right now.

      Delete
  3. There are mean talkers and sweet talkers and people you like to listen to. You are the latter and your posts great keep it up.

    ReplyDelete